Sunday, January 24, 2010

Hey Mom, "When I grow up..."

My thoughts are going back to Paxston when he said, "Hey Mom, when I grow up, I want me and you to be a fireman". This was when he was about 6. Today he is 21 and tonight he is in the second part of Battlestations in Navy Boot Camp. He is learning to be that fireman. We don't seem to realize what the Navy is training for. They have to make sure that ship stays floating. In the event of an attack, they will fight whatever to keep it floating. This could be a fire, leaks in the pipes, rescuing those who have been hurt, and this can all be on the ship they are sailing on.

My emotions have been wild those past couple of weeks. I never imagined in all those years that I would be shaping a young man for the NAVY. I can't even begin to tell you how proud I am of him.

It has been refreshing to hear him say that God put him in the division he is in, no doubt. If he had gone in at a later date, he would not have gotten the Chief that he has. The chief will be leaving for California after this graduation. This chief believes that phone calls are good for morale. I didn't realize that all moms did not get a call like I did every week. And there is also a possibility of boot camp going from 9 weeks to 13 weeks, so Paxston has been blessed.

When your children are small you begin to pray for them and ask God to protect them and bless them. It is awesome to see how God has been working in each of their lives. I was so excited this morning to hear that Amber and Steven have joined a church. I know that they also have many gifts and talents that God has bestowed upon them and now they can get plugged in and do what God has called them to do. I am enjoying watching Crickette grow in her faith, and learning that she can be patient and wait on God! God has a great plan and purpose for each of my children and I realize how Blessed I am each day. This will be an awesome week for me, all my children will be together and I will have lots to post on the blog.

1 comment:

  1. I really understand a tiny portion of how you feel. My husband is a firefighter and that is stressful enough. It scares the stew out of me when I am talking to him on the phone and those tones go off. I cannot imagine your apprehension and worry for your son. Thank God for his blessings and I will thank Him also for your son's service.

    ReplyDelete